The US law and electric scooters
Electric Scooters are growing in popularity in the USA thanks to demands for greener and sustainable transport. But are they legal?
Motorized scooters are not street legal as they do not meet federal requirements for lights and mirrors. They cannot be insured, titled or tagged.
With a top speed of 32 kilometers per hour and small wheels, there are concerns over how best to accommodate the e-scooters.
In California where they are popular on the boardwalks, a rider must:
- Be 16 or over
- Have a valid drivers license
- Wear a cycle helmet
- Have no passengers
- follow the same rules as a car driver
- Have brakes
- Have handlebars under the shoulders
- A headlight, taillight and side reflectors if at night
- Not ride on sidewalks
- Use Not ride on streets where the limit is over 40 km/h unless in a bicycle lane.
In the midwestern state, there is more freedom with use similar to bicycles and allowed on sidewalks, bicycle lanes and roads.
In the capital city, electric scooters are classified as Mobility Devices and not motor vehicles. As such, there is no inspection, insurance, license or helmets required. Motorized scooters riders can use the sidewalk.
In the capital of Georgia again electric scooters are considered Personal Assistive Mobility Devices and are treated to the same rights as pedestrians and can use sidewalks, bike lanes and highways (max speed limit 60 km/h).
- Electric Scooters for Heavy AdultsNot all of us are supermodel skinny or have the finely tuned body of a Greek Adonis. Some of us […]
- 9 Best Mobility Scooters to Reclaim Your FreedomLimitations can be deadly. They suck the life out of us and make us feel miserable. One of such limitations […]
- Best Electric Scooter for CommutingI can’t think of anybody who enjoys their commute to or from work. Taking public transport can be expensive while […]
- 10 Incredibly Useful Electric Scooter AccessoriesAs the weather starts to improve, there’s nothing better than getting out and about on your Electric Scooter. It’s a […]
- 7 Best Electric Scooters with Big Wheels in 2020Electric scooters are fun to ride. You can blow off some steam on the weekend and explore your city. Or […]
- 7 Best Electric Scooters for Climbing Hills in 2020Most people on planet Earth do not like to climb hills. They are exhausting, to say the least. Whether it […]
- The Best 3 Wheel Electric Scooters for 2020Today, we’re going to take a look at something a little different from regular electric scooters. Today’s review includes the […]
- Best Electric Scooter Helmets in 2020Whenever you ride a modern electric scooter, one of the first things you will realize is how fast it is. […]
- The Best Off-Road Electric Scooters in 2020Electric scooters are great fun for cruising around town, or for daily commuting to and from work. However, if you […]